I am myself and I'm sick of being split up!
Sugilite is a massive fusion; along with equally gigantic Alexandrite, she is one of the largest, tallest characters seen as of yet. She is a monstrous-looking fusion; her face features four eyes located under a strong brow and a final fifth one above it - each being a different color. Her mouth is twisted into a grin and filled with sharp, pointed teeth. She has a giant plume of spiky, dark violet hair in a style similar to Amethysts untamed hair. Her skin color is a more pinkish shade of purple than Amethyst's, and she wears a ripped, dark purple, black and burgundy costume similar to Garnet body suit and likewise wears a visor covering her four lower eyes. She has rips/cuttings in her leggings that are similar to Amethyst's. Her gems are located on her chest and on the palms of her lower hands.
Sugilite cares for herself, first and foremost. Though she carries out mission objectives, she does not do anything that she does not want to and does not hesitate to use force to achieve personal desires. She combines Garnet's headstrong, unwavering nature with Amethysts desire to do whatever she pleases as well as her negative attitude towards authority. The resulting personality is a volatile mix, and is highly unstable as well as dangerous. This causes at least one dangerous situation, wherein Sugilite, enraged that she was left behind during a mission and asked to unfuse, viciously attacks and injures Pearl. She seems to possess some of Ruby and Sapphire's feelings towards separating.
Despite her destructive nature, she seems to retain an attachment for Steven; she avoids targeting him directly during her rampages -- but ironically she inadvertently causes a chunk of debris to fly off at Pearl, who deflects it and a fragment of it hits Steven in the face -- and wants to impress him with her strength, asking if he wanted "to see something cool?" and showing him how she combines Garnet and Amethyst's weapons into her flail when he agrees.
It appears that Sugilite would be an absolute juggernaut in combat. Sugilite could use her sheer strength and size to overpower and crush any opposition.
Though not as acrobatic and nimble as Opal, Sugilite makes up for it by sheer size; her long legs allows her to cover a lot of ground quickly and leap long distances. Sugilite has no known weaknesses, except her own recklessness. In "Coach Steven", she is only defeated when Pearl outsmarts her by luring her up the hill behind the Crystal Temple. She then used her spear to trip Sugilite, causing her to tumble down the side of the temple and comically get hit on the head by her own flail, thus knocking her out and ending the fusion.
- Flail Proficiency: Her weapon is an enormous flail that uses Amethyst's whip for a rope, and Garnet's fused gauntlets as a bludgeon. Using this weapon Sugilite easily smashes through buildings, reducing a defunct Gem Communications Hub to rubble.
- Sugilite is the first member of the Crystal Gem to act as an antagonist in the series.
- According to Ben Levin, Alexandrite is, in theory, taller than Sugilite due to Alexandrite being made up of four gems.
- Sugilite's shades bear a slight resemblance to Roy Koopa's from the Super Mario Bros. series.
- Though this is probably a coincidence.
- Sugilite could be based on an Oni, which is a Japanese demon, due to the gemstone being first discovered in Japan by Professor Ken-ichi Sugi.
- She also strongly resembles the Hindu goddess Kali. Kali is often portrayed with four arms and a very destructive nature. Sugilite's long and somewhat wild-looking dark hair also resembles common portrayals of Kali. While Kali is often described as violent, she's still usually seen as a destroyer of evil. Some legends even show her with a caring, maternal side.
- Sugilite demonstrates in "Coach Steven" that if multiple Gems are fused for too long, they can slowly lose their individuality in favour of the new personality of the Fusion Gem.
- Sugilite also seems to have sugilite gemstones as fingernails faceted in different shapes. The index is shaped as a star while the rest appear to be square.(It is also possible that on the other hand,her fingernails have the triangle shape on them due to these facets are on Ruby and Sapphire's gemstones.)
- Sugilite is the only known Crystal Gen with three gemstones.
- She was the first fusion Gem whose full transformation was seen on screen while Opal's transformation was interrupted and not seen, this also goes for Alexandrite.
- Sugilite, along with Amethyst, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Peridot and Jasper have not been seen bubbling away gemstones.
- Since Sugilite has Garnet's third eye, it is possible that she also posses her precognition - or "future vision" ability.
Learn more about the sugilite gemstone here.
- In gemstone mythology, sugilites are known to increase balance of the mind and soul, and serves as protection from anger and negative feelings.
- This is ironic, given Sugilite's dangerous and unstable nature.
- Sugilite is not a traditional birthstone.
- Sugilite is believed to provide positive energy and to help its wearer to focus on desired achievements.
- Additionally, sugilite is thought to reduce stress and encourage feelings of spiritual love.
- Sugilite is also known as luvulite and is rarely found.
|Amethyst's gem (chest) on Sugilite, it has a hexagonal facet on it.||"Coach Steven"|
|Sapphire's gem (left palm) on Sugilite, it has a triangular facet on it.|
|Ruby's gem (right palm) on Sugilite, it has a square facet on it.|