And we're supposed to be the bigger gem about this! We're ALWAYS the bigger gem! Well not this time, not about this!
Ruby has light red skin, dark maroon hair, and is slightly taller than Steven. She wears a violet-red and dark red tank top, leaving her arms free, a light red headband around thick, outgrown hair cropped at the neck, mid-thigh length maroon shorts, and pointed violet-red boots.
She takes on Garnet's strength and courage, while Sapphire embodies Garnet's cool nature and kindness. She seems to put the well-being of Sapphire over all else, as she immediately made sure Sapphire was safe and responded, "Who cares?!," when Sapphire asked her if she herself was okay. She also seems to not be very conversive, a trait which carries onto Garnet, as Ruby mumbles and speaks somewhat awkwardly.
Like all Gems, Ruby can shape shift, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstone to regenerate. Ruby can fuse with Sapphire to form Garnet.
Unlike her fusion with Sapphire, Garnet, Ruby doesn't possess future vision. Joe Merely confirmed that when she complained about not being able to "see" (use future vision), it was because she was so used to having that second sight while being fused with Sapphire. She is also involved in the fusions Sugilite, Alexandrite, and Sardonyx, although it is not known if she and Sapphire have to be fused first for any of those three to come out the same.
- Super Strength: Ruby may have some degree of super strength, as she was able to shake her cell by slamming her fist against the wall, causing Steven to lose his footing. It is also shown when she was able to lift Sapphire off her feet with little to no effort.
She and Sapphire hold a romantic relationship, shown when she immediately panics when she realizes that the two have been separated and becomes reckless trying to find her, running around without checking if Peridot and Jasper are around and loudly shouting for Sapphire whenever she stopped singing. When she finds Sapphire, the two embrace and Sapphire kisses away Ruby's tears, showing their romantic relationship. Ruby cares strongly for Sapphire's well-being as she expressed deep concern for possible injury. Garnet's dialogue in "Love Letters" implies that Ruby and Sapphire's relationship developed gradually over a period of time.
At first Ruby seemed cold and distant towards Steven due to wanting to find Sapphire as quickly as possible. Despite this, Ruby cares deeply for Steven, as Garnet says that both her and Sapphire had already loved Steven when he asked if he made a good first impression. She also tried to stop Steven when she thought he was going to get hurt by the energy field in front of her cell.
Greg seemed aware of Ruby and Sapphire's existence during the events of, "Keystone Motel." It is unknown for how long Greg knew about the two, or what his current relationship with them is.
- Ruby's gemstone can only be seen twice in her official debut episode, "Jail Break".
- Although she was not formally introduced until "Jail Break", her silhouette, along with Sapphire's, can be seen when Alexandrite breaks part in "Fusion Cuisine".
- Ruby and Sapphire are lovers, as shown by Ruby's desperate desire to find Sapphire, and the kiss that is part of their fusion dance. It also explains why they chose to stay as their fusion, Garnet. 
- When asked if Ruby was blind from when she says "I can't see", Joe Johnston merely stated that she was "used to being fused with Sapphire, and so, used to having two types of vision". 
- Ruby is the birthstone of the creator of Steven Universe, Rebecca Sugar.
- Ruby, along with Sapphire, both lack stars on their outfit.
- This is explained in "Story for Steven". The Crystal Gems seemed to not have adopted the star symbol until after Rose's death, and Ruby and Sapphire have been fused since before then.
- It was revealed in "Love Letters" that her and Sapphire's relationship was a gradual building up over-time.
- It's possible that Ruby and Sapphire both have rooms in the Crystal Temple, due to the fact that they both have their corresponding gemstones on the door.
- Ruby's gemstone location is not symmetrical, along with Sapphire's.
- When fused as Garnet, however, their combined gemstones become symmetrical.
Learn more about the ruby gemstone here.
- Ruby is a gemstone of emotion, associated with passion, strength and anger. This shows in Ruby's emotional temperaments and overall emotional/angry attitude, as well as her strength when she shakes her cell and lifts Sapphire.
- Ruby is the birthstone for those born in July, and is also the zodiacal stone for Capricorns.
- Ruby is a variety of corundum that gets its red color from chromium.
- The vivid red color of ruby also means that it is associated with desire, and it is thought by some to be a stone of love with an aphrodisiac effect.
- Ruby is considered as one of the four precious gemstones, together with sapphire, emerald, and diamond.
|Ruby's gemstone is located on the palm of her left hand, featuring a squared facet. The front and back are symmetrical, and it has a light pink ring around it, which is usually hidden inside her body unless she's regenerating. It is a decahedron, specifically a truncated tetragonal dipyramid.|