I'm not Lapis anymore, we're Malachite now.
|—Lapis Lazuli, "Chille Tid"|
Malachite is a tall Fusion, possessing four legs (which are actually arms, but instead function as legs), and two regular arms. She has four eyes and pointed teeth. Her hair is a light mint green color, and is styled in the shape of a star (the Crystal Gems' symbol), similarly to Alexandrite, while her skin is light green with dark green stripes, with a pattern similar to Jasper. She has two torsos joined together like a centaur. Her upper torso and arms are longer and more slender, while her lower torso and lower four limbs are more muscular. The upper half of her outfit is dark green and black, resembling Lapis Lazuli's top at the front, but solid at the back, with no ribbon, while the lower half resembles a one-piece swimsuit, and is mostly black with a green V and yellow diamond symbol at the front resembling Jasper's top. One of her gemstones is located on her nose like Jasper's, the precise location of her other gemstone is unknown, but it is assumed to be located on her back like Lapis Lazuli's.
Due to being a fusion, Malachite's personality is a twisted combination of aspects of both Jasper and Lapis' character traits. However, because of her being a very unstable fusion held together with anger, both Lapis' and Jasper's personalities were initially present rather than merging into a new one (much like how Alexandrite displayed the individual personalities of Amethyst, Garnet, and Pearl rather than merging into one). Once Malachite was formed, she was shown as having Jasper's disdain for the Crystal Gems and wishing to see them destroyed, but Lapis' consciousness was later shown to be the most dominant, as she was able to overpower Jasper's control.
In "Chille Tid", Lapis was shown to be struggling to maintain her dominance over Jasper. It was clear that if Lapis was distracted for any period of time, Jasper could regain control over the fusion. At the end of the episode, Malachite's personality began to dominate and suppress Lapis' own, much in the same way Pearl had described when Amethyst and Garnet were fused into Sugilite for too long. The episode ended on a chilling note with Lapis refusing her own name and proclaiming that they are Malachite now, indicating that Malachite's own true personality had formed and was going to take over. It is unknown if Jasper has also lost herself to the fusion.
Malachite can shape-shift, bubble objects, summon a weapon, and retreat to her gemstone(s).
- Hydrokinesis: Malachite possesses Lapis Lazuli's hydrokinesis.
- Malachite may be a metaphor of an abusive relationship.
- Malachite was sent to the bottom of the ocean by Lapis Lazuli to prevent Jasper from causing further damage.
- Malachite is similar to Alexandrite, in the fact that she did not have her own personality, as Jasper and Lapis Lazuli immediately began to fight one another. Malachite's voice also came apart when Lapis Lazuli became the dominant personality and dragged down the fusion.
- Malachite imprisoned may mean that unstable fusions may be able to stay together, if one of the members does not wish to separate.
- In "Love Letters," it was revealed that the Crystal Gems are searching for Malachite.
Learn more about the malachite gemstone here
- Malachite is a gemstone associated with protection, acting against obstacles or dangers and taking risks; which can be a reference to Lapis' behavior after she fused.
- Malachite is a green copper carbonate mineral.
- Malachite is a traditional gemstone for the 13th wedding anniversary.
- Malachite, while submerged underwater, is toxic.
- Malachite often has distinctive concentric bands in varying shades of green, which make it an interesting gemstone.
|Malachite's gemstone is located where her nose would be, in the center of her face. It has a pointing-out facet that is sharp and triangular (resembling Jasper's).||"Jail Break"|
|Malachite's gemstone is located on her back. It is shaped like a water droplet (resembling Lapis Lazuli's).|
This information is generously allowed to be used by the Steven Universe Wiki, an affiliated source, on this site.